Earlier in the day, Larry Kudlow, director of the National Economic Council, told reporters that there had been communications between the two countries at the “highest levels,” but that talks had “stalled” in recent days.

“I have been involved in a lot of those U.S.-China talks, but not recently, because there haven’t been any recently, I don’t know what they are doing,” Kudlow told reporters on the North Lawn of the White House.

China threatened to levy tariffs on $60 billion in U.S. goods on Friday if the Trump administration went through with its own planned tariffs on Chinese imports. On Wednesday, Trump ordered his administration to consider raising the proposed tariffs on $200 billion worth of Chinese goods to 25 percent. The administration had earlier been considering tariffs of 10 percent.

The official said there was no particular catalyst for the president’s decision to have his administration consider raising the amount of the tariffs, but noted that Trump believes China’s responses to U.S. actions have been “unsatisfactory.”

Source


Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home2/wadyk60ackgy/public_html/wp-content/themes/Newspaper/includes/wp_booster/td_block.php on line 353