The loner student accused of killing six Muslim men as they prayed at a Quebec mosque was pictured arriving at court on Monday to face charges for their murders. 

Alexandre Bissonnette is accused of slaughtering the men and injuring five others by opening fire on them as they attended evening prayers at the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Center on Sunday.

The 27-year-old student from the affluent suburb of Cap-Rouge was described by classmates as a pro-Trump loner who did not fit in well at Laval University where is studying anthropology and political sciences. 

He was arrested on Sunday night after phoning police himself from his Mitsubishi where investigators allegedly found two rifles and an AK-47. 

Bissonnette was charged with six counts of murder, five of attempted murder and is likely to have more charges brought against him, police said on Monday. 

Originally police believed two gunmen had carried out the attack and took Moroccan-Canadian Mohamed el Khadir into custody. 

He is now being treated as a witness and no one is else is wanted in connection with the attack.   

Scroll down for video 

Alexandre Bissonnette was seen arriving at a Quebec City courthouse on Monday chared with six counts of first degree murder and five of attempted murder after allegedly opening fire on a mosque the night before

The 27-year-old was dressed in a white prison jumpsuit and sneakers and appeared to be handcuffed as he made his way inside the courthouse 

At a press conference on Monday afternoon, officials from the Gendarmerie royale du Canada confirmed the suspect had been charged with six counts of murder.

Searches are ongoing at the suspect’s home and at the mosque, they said.  It’s likely he will have more charges, specifically under the terrorism act, brought against him.

Six men aged between 39 and 60 were killed at the mosque as they observed evening prayers at the mosque which said security had become a ‘major’ concern.

Another five are in intensive care at Quebec City’s Hôpital de l’Enfant-Jésus after the shooting on Sunday night.

Twelve others had less serious injuries and another 39 escaped from the mosque unharmed. 

Among the victims is father-of-two Boubaker Thabti, of Tunisian descent, halal butcher and father-of-three Azzedine Soufiane, who worked next door to fellow victim Khaled Belkacemi, anAlgerian-Canadian professor. The professor, who was also married with children, worked at the same university where Bissonnette is enrolled.

Ahmed Youness, a 21-year-old student, was also killed in the shooting according to Reuters, as was the mosque’s concierge Ibrahima Barry, 39. 

Abdelkrim Hassen, a married father-of-three who worked in IT for the government was also gunned down and killed, according to his friend Ali Hamadi who had also been at the mosque but left shortly before the shooting. 

‘I want to express on behalf of the entire university community my profound sadness in announcing the death of Khaled Belkacemi, who was a victim of the attack at the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Center,’ ,’ rector Denis Briere said.

‘I echo the comments of the head of the FSAA in honoring the kind and professional skills of our colleague. He was a passionate and engaged in the faculty’s work.  

Bissonnette fled the scene in his Mitsubishi but called 911 himself later to turn himself in, local media reported. His car was spotted on the side of the road with a police vehicle behind it on Sunday night 

Bissonnette is a student at Laval University. A friend of Bissonnette’s said he was pro-Trump and conservative but did not think he was capable of violence

‘His remarkable body of work will outlive his unexpected death which has saddened us profoundly.’

Bissonnette, 27, and el Khadir were arrested on Sunday night after six men were shot dead at the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Center during evening prayers. 

Bissonnette is suspected of carrying out the Quebec City mosque massacre alone

El Khadir was picked up by police at the mosque but Bissonnette fled in his Mitsubishi and was arrested in nearby Ile d’Orleans around 20 minutes later after calling 911, Le Soleil reports. Police found two rifles and an AK-47 in the car.  Court clerk Isabelle Ferland earlier identified the pair as the two men arrested in connection with the shooting. 

Police are not seeking anyone else in connection with the attack which was is being treated as an act of terror. 

A source later told Reuters police were looking at Bissonnette as a ‘lone wolf’.  

The political sciences and anthropology student, who is from the affluent Quebec City suburb Cap-Rouge, will appear in court sometime on Monday or Tuesday.

Other students described him to DailyMail.com as a pro-Trump loner but a timid man who didn’t seem capable of committing an act of terror. 

Crime scene: Two people were initially arrested for the attack at the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Center on Sunday night. Police continued working at the mosque late into the night (above) 

A police officer stood guard at the men’s entrance to the mosque, one of the largest in Quebec, late on Sunday night as forensic investigations continued 

Quebec City Police continued to work at the scene late into the night on Sunday as investigators questioned Bissonnette and Mohamed el Khadir 

A classmate told DailyMail.com that Bissonnette was pro-Donald Trump and that they had engaged in political arguments about the president.

‘Based on the conversations that I had with him during the American presidential campaign, it’s true he is pro-Trump,’ the student, who asked to remain anonymous, said. 

He added that he Bissonnette had ‘never demonstrated’ a violent side but that he didn’t ‘fit in’ among peers. 

Fellow students said Bissonnette didn’t ‘fit in well’ at the university where he is studying political sciences and anthropology 

‘Yes, he was conservative in the political sense but despite the profound differences between us, he never showed or suggested that political violence or terrorism was something he was capable of.

‘He didn’t fit in well at university.’  

Laval University’s rector said he would would assist authorities in any way he could but has not yet confirmed Bissonnette’s enrollment. Neither he nor el Khadir was known to police before Sunday night’s atrocity.

Police searched Bissonnette’s home in Cap Rouge overnight. They were seen searching el Khadir’s apartment which is less than a kilometer from the mosque on Monday, TVA reports. 

The shooting came as protests erupted across the US in response to President Donald Trump’s immigration ban against seven Muslim-majority countries which Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau condemned earlier on Sunday.

Prime Minister Trudeau gave an emotional speech at Ottawa’s House of Commons on Monday, telling peers: ‘Make no mistake, this was a terrorist attack.’

The parliament observed a minute’s silence to honor the victims. The prime minister also issued a message of support to the country’s Muslim community. 

‘Make no mistake, this was a terrorist attack’: Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau gave an emotional speech in the House of Commons on Parliament Hill on Monday

‘Know that we value you. You enrich our shared country in immeasurable ways. It is your home. 

‘Last night’s horrible crime against the Muslim community was an act of terror committed against Canada and against all Canadians.  

‘We will grieve with you. We will defend you. We will love you. And we will stand with you,’ he said.

President Trump called Prime Minister Trudeau to offer his condolences on Monday afternoon. 

‘This is another senseless act of violence that cannot be tolerated. We condemn this attack in the strongest possible terms. 

‘It’s a terrible reminder of why we must remain vigilant, and why the president is taking steps to be proactive instead of reactive when it comes to our nation’s safety and security. 

‘We are of course praying for those injured in the attack, and are keeping in close contact with officials in Quebec and Canada,’ White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer said.

Quebec Police have given no suggested motive for the killings but confirmed it was being treated as an act of terror. They are also looking in to whether a pig’s head left outside the mosque last year is connected to the incident.  

‘We’re still in the early stages of the investigation, we’re still trying to determine all the facts associated with the incident and not interfere with the progress of the investigation so we’re not going to discuss the specifics at this time,’ Martin Plante of the Gendarmerie royale du Canada said at a press conference on Monday morning.  

Two thousand police officers were deployed across the city on Sunday as a precaution after the deadly shootings. Police continued to patrol the streets surrounding the mosque on Monday 

Police continued to search the perimeter around the mosque on Monday as the suspect awaited his first court appearance

A police officer searches beneath a car outside the Quebec Islamic Cultural Center in the aftermath of the shooting 

A large police presence remained at the mosque on Sunday as investigators continued to work inside and around the city 

Two men were arrested on Sunday but police are yet to reveal a possible motive. Officers remained at the mosque on Monday

Mourners began laying flowers at the scene of the attack on Monday as authorities worked to piece together how it unfolded

As investigators continued to work at the mosque on Monday (above) police were led to a home in a residential street 10 minutes away by one of the suspects 

‘MAKE NO MISTAKE, THIS WAS A TERRORIST ATTACK’

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau leads a minute’s silence in the Ottawa House of Commons on Monday after the attack 

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau held a minute’s silence for those killed in the attack at the House of Commons on Monday after an emotional speech. 

‘Make no mistake, this was a terrorist attack,’ he said, before issuing a heartfelt message to the country’s Muslim community. 

‘Know that we value you. You enrich our shared country in immeasurable ways. It is your home. 

‘Last night’s horrible crime against the Muslim community was an act of terror committed against Canada and against all Canadians. 

‘We will grieve with you. We will defend you. We will love you. And we will stand with you,’ he said.

On Sunday, Prime Minister Trudeau released a statement immediately after the attack where he deemed it an act of terror on Muslims. 

‘It was with tremendous shock, sadness and anger that I heard of this evening’s tragic and fatal shooting at the Centre culturel islamique de Québec located in the Ste-Foy neighbourhood of the city of Québec.

‘We condemn this terrorist attack on Muslims in a centre of worship and refuge.

‘On behalf of all Canadians, Sophie and I offer our deepest condolences to the family and friends of all those who have died, and we wish a speedy recovery to those who have been injured.

‘While authorities are still investigating and details continue to be confirmed, it is heart-wrenching to see such senseless violence. Diversity is our strength, and religious tolerance is a value that we, as Canadians, hold dear.

‘Muslim-Canadians are an important part of our national fabric, and these senseless acts have no place in our communities, cities and country. Canadian law enforcement agencies will protect the rights of all Canadians, and will make every effort to apprehend the perpetrators of this act and all acts of intolerance.

‘Tonight, we grieve with the people of Ste-Foy and all Canadians.’

He confirmed one of the suspects had called police himself but refused to give any more details. ‘The suspect dialed 911 and identified himself as being involved with the incident.’ 

Prime Minister Trudeau earlier described the mass killing as a ‘terrorist attack on Muslims’.

‘We condemn this terrorist attack on Muslims in a center of worship and refuge.  While authorities are still investigating and details continue to be confirmed, it is heart-wrenching to see such senseless violence. 

‘Diversity is our strength, and religious tolerance is a value that we, as Canadians, hold dear. 

‘Muslim-Canadians are an important part of our national fabric, and these senseless acts have no place in our communities, cities and country. 

‘Canadian law enforcement agencies will protect the rights of all Canadians, and will make every effort to apprehend the perpetrators of this act and all acts of intolerance.

‘Tonight, we grieve with the people of Ste-Foy and all Canadians.’ 

Vigils were been planned to take place on Monday across the country as the first harrowing details of the shooting emerged.

Survivors: Among those pictured leaving the mosque after the attack on Sunday evening were young boys 

People gathered on mounds of snow outside the mosque as police taped off the scene on Sunday night 

Armed police stayed at the scene overnight to patrol it as others worked inside the mosque. Security at mosques across the US was heightened in response to the slayings 

The mosque’s vice president Mohamed Labidi choked back tears as he admitted security had been a ‘major’ concern for staff

Archbishop of Quebec Cardinal Gerald LaCroix wept as he was embraced by Pope Francis on Monday at the Santa Marta Residence at the Vatican 

The flag at Peace Tower in Ottawa was lowered to half-mast on Monday in memory of the victims 

Quebec Prime Minister Philippe Couillard (right) issued a message to Muslim citizens on Monday in the wake of the attack, telling them at a press conference: ‘We are with you, this is your home, we are all Quebecers’ 

The mosque was attacked at around 8pm Sunday evening while around 50 people prayed inside

Witnesses told how the killer burst into the mosque dressed in black waterproof jacket at around 8pm.

The mosque’s president Mohamed Yangui was left in total shock by the killings. ‘Why is this happening here? This is barbaric,’ he said. 

Worshiper Ali Hamadi said he left the mosque a few minutes before the shooting but that his friend, married father-of-three Abdelkrim Hassen, died in the attack.   

Mosque officials spoke of the tragedy on Monday at a press conference where they admitted being scared of such attacks in the past. 

‘It’s a very, very big tragedy for us.  We have a sadness we cannot express,’ Vice President Mohamed Labidi said as he choked back tears. 

NYPD INCREASES PATROLS AROUND PLACES OF WORSHIP 

The New York Police Department is stepping up patrols at mosques and other places of worship in the city after six people were shot dead in a mosque in Quebec City, Canada.

‘NYPD is providing additional protection for mosques in the city. All New Yorkers should be vigilant. If you see something, say something,’ New York City Mayor Bill Blasio said on Twitter.

‘Our prayers are with the people of Quebec City as they deal with a terrible attack on a mosque. We must stand together,’ Blasio said in another tweet.

Earlier de Blasio sent a message directly to Muslims living in the city: ‘To my fellow New Yorkers who are Muslim: New York City will protect you. The NYPD will protect you. We will fight all hatred and bias.’

The department says it’s monitoring the situation in Quebec City. 

Mohamed Oudghiri normally attends prayers but missed Sunday’s prayers. He told journalists: ‘We are not safe here’

A man holds a sign that reads ‘la paix pas la guerre’ or ‘peace, not war’ near a Quebec city mosque after the deadly shooting

NYPD INCREASES PATROLS AROUND PLACES OF WORSHIP 

The New York Police Department is stepping up patrols at mosques and other places of worship in the city after six people were shot dead in a mosque in Quebec City, Canada.

‘NYPD is providing additional protection for mosques in the city. All New Yorkers should be vigilant. If you see something, say something,’ New York City Mayor Bill Blasio said on Twitter.

‘Our prayers are with the people of Quebec City as they deal with a terrible attack on a mosque. We must stand together,’ Blasio said in another tweet.

Earlier de Blasio sent a message directly to Muslims living in the city: ‘To my fellow New Yorkers who are Muslim: New York City will protect you. The NYPD will protect you. We will fight all hatred and bias.’

The department says it’s monitoring the situation in Quebec City. 

‘Security at our mosque was our major, major concern. But we were caught off guard,’ he added.   

Police stood guard at the men’s entrance to the mosque on Monday after putting up a perimeter the night before and there has been an increase in security at places of worship around the country.   

Other cities are upping security in light of recent attacks at Muslim places of worship. New York City mayor Bill de Blasio said on Twitter:  ‘The awful attack in Quebec is not an outlier.

‘Today, a mosque in Texas was burned to the ground. We must stop those who seek to divide us.’NYPD is providing additional protection for mosques in the city. All New Yorkers should be vigilant. If you see something, say something.’ 

The Islamic Center of Victoria was ablaze at around 2am on Saturday. Local fire fighters are yet to reveal what started the fire.

Quebec premier Philippe Couillard said there will be solidarity rallies across the region on Monday and says the province’s people will all be together to express horror

French President Francois Hollande on Monday condemned ‘in the strongest possible terms’ what he called an ‘odious attack’. 

A pig’s head was left outside the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Center in June. Police are investigating whether it is connected to the shooting

‘It’s the spirit of peace and openness of the people of Quebec that the terrorists wanted to hit,’ added Hollande.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s spokesman condemned the ‘despicable’. Steffen Seibert said the German leader was shocked by the shooting.

Seibert said: ‘If the killers intended to set people of different faiths against each other or to divide them, they must not and will not succeed in that. 

‘We stand in mourning beside the Muslim community in Quebec.’ 

A pig’s head was left at the mosque last year during the holy month of Ramadan in another heinous attack.   

Like France, Quebec has struggled at times to reconcile its secular identity with a rising Muslim population, many of them North African emigrants. 

Incidents of Islamophobia have increased in Quebec in recent years. In 2013, police investigated after a mosque in the Saguenay region of Quebec was splattered with what was believed to be pig blood.

In the neighboring province of Ontario, a mosque was set on fire in 2015, a day after an attack by gunmen and suicide bombers in Paris. 

Yesterday, a Texas mosque was ravaged by a fire just hours after President Donald Trump signed an executive order restricting migration from seven predominantly Muslim countries.

A clerk at a convenience store spotted smoke and flames billowing from the Islamic Center of Victoria at around 2am on Saturday.

The fire department spent more than four hours battling the blaze.  

Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.

Source