The organizers of a women’s protest march set to hit the streets of Washington D.C. the day after Donald Trump’s inauguration said Monday it had dropped one of its partner organizations because the group opposes abortion.
The nonprofit group, New Wave Feminists, vowed to take part in the protest anyway.
“We will definitely be there with our pro-life, pro-woman message,” group leader Destiny Hernon-De La Rosa told FoxNews.com. “These are the women we would be trying to reach, anyway.”
On Sunday, New Wave Feminists announced on its Facebook page that it had been chosen as an official partner of the Jan. 21 Women’s March on Washington, putting them on a par with Planned Parenthood and NARAL Pro-Choice America.
On its website, New Wave Feminists decry that their “womanhood [has been] traded in for a handful of birth control pills, the ‘privilege’ to degrade ourselves in playboy [sic], and the ‘right’ to abort our children.” The group calls for “the return of common sense feminism that refuses to exploit women in the name of liberation.”
The group’s partnership status was mentioned in a story published Monday on the Atlantic magazine’s website and drew outrage from several left-wing writers.
Soon after, New Wave Feminists was removed from the partner list.
“The Women’s March platform is pro-choice and has been from day one,” the march organizers said in a statement. “We look forward to marching on behalf of individuals who share the view that women deserve the right to make their own reproductive decisions.
“The anti-choice organization in question,” the statement added, “is not a partner of the women’s March on Washington. We apologize for the error.”
The head of New Wave Feminists, Destiny Herndon-De La Rosa told the website Newsbusters that she had not heard from the march organizers about the group’s demotion.
“I can only assume,” she said, “they caved to the backlash on social media after the Atlantic piece came out saying we were listed as partners.”