Only one of the two men initially arrested for killing six people at a Quebec mosque on Sunday is now facing charges.
Alexandre Bissonnette and Mohamed el Khadir were both taken into custody after the attack at Quebec City Islamic Cultural Center in Quebec City on Sunday night, court clerks confirmed.
Sûreté du Québec revealed on Monday afternoon that only one of the two people previously arrested is now facing charges but would not share which. The other man is now being treated as a witness, a spokeswoman told DailyMail.com.
The man suspected of carrying out the attack will appear before court in Quebec on Monday or Tuesday, she added.
Six men aged between 39 and 60 were killed at the scene and five remain in a critical condition in intensive care at the city’s Hôpital de l’Enfant-Jésus. Twelve others had less serious injuries and another 39 escaped unharmed.
El Khadir was picked up by police at the mosque but Bissonnette fled in his Mitsubishi and was arrested in nearby Ile d’Orleans around 20 minutes later after calling 911 to turn himself in, Le Soleil reports. Police found two rifles and an AK-47 in the car.
Authorities refused to confirm their names on Monday but said they were not seeking anyone else in connection with the terrorist attack beyond the two already in custody who are in their ‘late twenties, early thirties’.
Scroll down for video
Only one of the two men originally arrested for shooting six people at a Quebec City mosque on Sunday is now facing charges. He fled the scene in his Mitsubishi after the attack but called 911 20 minutes later to turn himself in. His vehicle is pictured above, by the side of the road, as he was taken in to custody
Crime scene: Two people were initially arrested for the attack at the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Center on Sunday night. Police continued working at the mosque late into the night (above)
A police officer stood guard at the men’s entrance to the mosque, one of the largest in Quebec, late on Sunday night as forensic investigations continued
Quebec City Police continued to work at the scene late into the night on Sunday as investigators questionedthe two suspects
People gathered on mounds of snow outside the mosque as police taped off the scene on Sunday night
Authorities are trying to establish whether the pair are students at Laval University as previously reported. The university’s rector said he would assist authorities in any way he could.
Neither of the men was known to police before Sunday night’s atrocity, they said.
Police searched his home in the nearby suburb Cap Rouge overnight. They were seen searching el Khadir’s apartment which is less than a kilometer from the mosque on Monday, TVA reports.
The shooting came as protests erupted across the US in response to President Donald Trump’s immigration ban against seven Muslim-majority countries which Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau condemned earlier on Sunday.
Quebec Police have given no suggested motive for the killings but confirmed it was being treated as an act of terror. They are also looking in to whether a pig’s head left outside the mosque last year is connected to Sunday’s killings.
‘We’re still in the early stages of the investigation, we’re still trying to determine all the facts associated with the incident and not interfere with the progress of the investigation so we’re not going to discuss the specifics at this time,’ Martin Plante of the Gendarmerie royale du Canada said.
Prime Minister of Canada Justin Trudeau (pictured yesterday celebrating Vancouver’s Chinatown Spring Festival) has described the mass killing as a ‘terrorist attack on Muslims’
He confirmed one of the suspects had called police himself but refused to give any more details. ‘The suspect dialed 911 and identified himself as being involved with the incident.’
The 27-year-old’s Mitsubishi was pursued towards Félix-Leclerc highway before he stopped the vehicle himself and called 911.
It was left on the side of the road as he was taken away by police.
Among the victims is a government IT worker, the mosque’s concierge and a halal butcher who worked next door.
Abdelkrim Hassen, a married father of three who worked in IT for the government. Prime Minister Trudeau has described the mass killing as a ‘terrorist attack on Muslims’.
‘We condemn this terrorist attack on Muslims in a center of worship and refuge.
‘While authorities are still investigating and details continue to be confirmed, it is heart-wrenching to see such senseless violence.
‘Diversity is our strength, and religious tolerance is a value that we, as Canadians, hold dear.
‘Muslim-Canadians are an important part of our national fabric, and these senseless acts have no place in our communities, cities and country.
‘Canadian law enforcement agencies will protect the rights of all Canadians, and will make every effort to apprehend the perpetrators of this act and all acts of intolerance.
‘Tonight, we grieve with the people of Ste-Foy and all Canadians.’
Two thousand police officers were deployed across the city on Sunday as a precaution after the deadly shootings. Police continued to patrol the streets surrounding the mosque on Monday
Police continued to search the perimeter around the mosque on Monday as the suspects awaited their first court appearance
A police officer searches beneath a car outside the Quebec Islamic Cultural Center in the aftermath of the shooting
A large police presence remained at the mosque on Sunday as investigators continued to work inside and around the city
Two men were arrested on Sunday but police are yet to reveal a possible motive. Officers remained at the mosque on Monday
Mourners began laying flowers at the scene of the attack on Monday as authorities worked to piece together how it unfolded
As investigators continued to work at the mosque on Monday (above) police were led to a home in a residential street 10 minutes away by one of the suspects
Ambulances and police riot vans flocked to the mosque after news of the attack spread shortly after 8pm
Vigils were been planned to take place on Monday across the country as the first harrowing details of the shooting emerged.
Witnesses told how the gunmen burst into the mosque dressed in black waterproof jackets shouting ‘Allahu akbar’ at around 8pm.
One man who tried to stop them was shot in the face, Hamid Nadji told 24hours. One of the gunmen left the building twice to reload his weapon, he added.
Most of those inside the building were men praying on the ground floor while women and children were upstairs.
The mosque’s president Mohamed Yangui was left in total shock by the killings. ‘Why is this happening here? This is barbaric,’ he said.
Worshiper Ali Hamadi said he left the mosque a few minutes before the shooting but that his friend, married father-of-three Abdelkrim Hassen, died in the attack.
The shooting was considered a terrorist attack by police and investigated as such, spokesmen said on Monday. They deployed a bomb squad among other specialist teams
Survivors: Among those pictured leaving the mosque after the attack on Sunday evening were young boys
Armed police stayed at the scene overnight to patrol it as others worked inside the mosque. Security at mosques across the US was heightened in response to the slayings
Mohamed Oudghiri normally attends prayers but missed today’s prayers. He told the press ‘We are not safe here’
A man holds a sign that reads ‘la paix pas la guerre’ or ‘peace, not war’ near a Quebec city mosque after the deadly shooting
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called the shooting that killed six a ‘terrorist attack on Muslims’
The gunmen attacked the mosque around 8pm Sunday evening while around 50 people prayed inside
Archbishop of Quebec Cardinal Gerald LaCroix wept as he was embraced by Pope Francis on Monday at the Santa Marta Residence at the Vatican
The flag at Peace Tower in Ottawa was lowered to half-mast on Monday in memory of the victims
Quebec Police addressed the media on Monday, confirming two people had been arrested for the killings. They said investigations were ongoing but would not reveal what the suspects’ possible motive was
Quebec Prime Minister Philippe Couillard (right) issued a message to Muslim citizens on Monday in the wake of the attack, telling them at a press conference: ‘We are with you, this is your home, we are all Quebecers’
Police stood guard at the men’s entrance to the mosque on Monday after putting up a perimeter the night before. Surete de Quebec confirmed the incident was being investigated as a terrorist attack and that teams including bomb squads had been deployed.
The mayor of Gatineau, Quebec said there will be heightened security at mosques in the city after the attack.
Francois Deschamps, a member of a refugee-support group in Quebec City, said right-wing groups are very organized in Quebec City and distribute fliers at the university and plaster stickers around town.
Deschamps said he has received death threats after starting a refugee support group on Facebook and people have posted his address online.
‘I’m not very surprised about the event,’ Deschamps said.
Other cities are upping security in light of recent attacks at Muslim places of worship. New York City mayor Bill de Blasio said on Twitter: ‘The awful attack in Quebec is not an outlier. Today, a mosque in Texas was burned to the ground. We must stop those who seek to divide us.’
‘NYPD is providing additional protection for mosques in the city. All New Yorkers should be vigilant. If you see something, say something.’
In reponse to Trump’s executive order, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau remarked that his country remains open to all immigration
Quebec premier Philippe Couillard said there will be solidarity rallies across the region on Monday and says the province’s people will all be together to express horror
AMERICANS PROTEST TRUMP’S REFUGEE BAN
‘No ban’: Demonstrators at the massive rally in Brooklyn voiced their disagreement with Trump’s executive order
Another day of protest is underway across the country, as people take to the streets to demonstrate against Donald Trump’s controversial immigration executive order.
Events were underway in New York, Chicago, Detroit, Miami, Los Angeles, Boston, Pittsburgh, and Washington DC in the early afternoon on Sunday. Many of the events were documented on social media with the hashtag, ‘#NoBanNoWall’ – showing they were also protesting Trump’s plan to build a wall on the border with Mexico.
Overhead shots from the protest in Boston, held in Copley Square, showed the area overflowing with people. Boston Mayor Marty Walsh was seen in a video late Saturday night urging people to attend the demonstration, telling the crowd: ‘Make sure you join us. Stand with our Muslim brothers and sisters.’
Senator Elizabeth Warren also took part in the Boston demonstration. The Massachusetts politician had also been part of protests at Boston’s airport on Saturday night.
Meanwhile, some of those held at New York City’s John F Kennedy airport were seen celebrating as they left Terminal 4 following more than 30 hours of detention.
Meanwhile, Trump defended his sweeping order on immigration Sunday afternoon and and said he would find other ways to help those suffering from Syria’s bloody civil war.
Demonstrators hold signs reading ‘Home of the free’ during the rally against the ban on immigration in San Francisco (left). Demonstrators rallied at the Minneapolis-St Paul International Airport Saturday afternoon to protest against Trump’s ban (right)
The president says in a statement that ‘America is a proud nation of immigrants’ that’will continue to show compassion to those fleeing oppression,’ but ‘while protecting our own citizens and border’.
He denied once again that his executive order, which bans visitors from Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia and Yemen, seven predominantly Muslim countries, was a ban aimed at Muslim people.
‘This is not about religion – this is about terror and keeping our country safe,’ he said. ‘There are over 40 different countries worldwide that are majority Muslim that are not affected by this order. We will again be issuing visas to all countries once we are sure we have reviewed and implemented the most secure policies over the next 90 days.’
Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly declared the entry of lawful permanent residents, also known as green card holders, to be of national interest on Sunday evening.
‘In applying the provisions of the president’s executive order, I hereby deem the entry of lawful permanent residents to be in the national interest,’ he said in a statement.
‘Accordingly, absent the receipt of significant derogatory information indicating a serious threat to public safety and welfare, lawful permanent resident status will be a dispositive factor in our case-by-case determinations.’
Demonstrators in Washington DC marched on the White House, where Trump was inside making calls to world leaders – including the King of Saudi Arabia, Salman bin Abd al-Aziz Al Saud.
French President Francois Hollande on Monday condemned ‘in the strongest possible terms’ what he called an ‘odious attack’.
A pig’s head was left outside the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Center in June. Police are investigating whether it is connected to the shooting
‘It’s the spirit of peace and openness of the people of Quebec that the terrorists wanted to hit,’ added Hollande.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s spokesman condemned the ‘despicable’. Steffen Seibert said the German leader was shocked by the shooting.
Seibert said: ‘If the killers intended to set people of different faiths against each other or to divide them, they must not and will not succeed in that. We stand in mourning beside the Muslim community in Quebec.’
A pig’s head was left at the mosque last year during the holy month of Ramadan in another heinous attack.
Like France, Quebec has struggled at times to reconcile its secular identity with a rising Muslim population, many of them North African emigrants.
Incidents of Islamophobia have increased in Quebec in recent years. In 2013, police investigated after a mosque in the Saguenay region of Quebec was splattered with what was believed to be pig blood.
In the neighboring province of Ontario, a mosque was set on fire in 2015, a day after an attack by gunmen and suicide bombers in Paris.
Yesterday, a Texas mosque was ravaged by a fire just hours after President Donald Trump signed an executive order restricting migration from seven predominantly Muslim countries.
A clerk at a convenience store spotted smoke and flames billowing from the Islamic Center of Victoria at around 2am on Saturday.
The fire department spent more than four hours battling the blaze.