A Kane County Jail inmate who took a hostage at Delnor Hospital in suburban Geneva was fatally shot during the hourslong incident Saturday, officials said.

Tywon Salters, 21, was pronounced dead at the hospital following the standoff, according to Kane County Sheriff’s Lieutenant Pat Gengler.

Salters, of Chicago, had been a patient at Delnor since May 8 and was in custody on charges of possession of a stolen motor vehicle from the Elgin Police Department, Gengler said at a news conference.

Authorities said Salters was being treated at the hospital around 12:30 p.m. when he was able to gain control of a correctional officer’s gun.

He then took a female hospital employee hostage, according to police.

Delnor was placed on lockdown, during which Geneva city officials warned the public to “stay out of the area as police deal with this standoff.”

“Hostage negotiators and the SWAT team were called in and they began a active negotiation with him,” Gengler said after the situation was resolved.

“Unfortunately, just a short while ago, the negotiations broke down. The SWAT team made the decision to make entry into the room. One of the SWAT team operators did discharge his firearm, striking the inmate and killing him,” he added.

The hostage, a nurse, was able to get out of the situation safely, officials said.

She remained at Delnor for medical evaluation Saturday, according to Gengler, who said she was with family and was “obviously extremely upset.”

The lockdown was lifted early Saturday evening, as the hospital began to take walk-in patients at 6 p.m., with ambulance drop-off scheduled to resume at 8 p.m.

Multiple agencies, including the Geneva Police Department, the Kane County Sheriff’s office and SWAT teams, responded to the incident, surrounding the scene as it developed.

Hospital personnel and medics were ready with ambulances to transport anyone coming to the hospital who needed emergency attention during the lockdown, Geneva city officials said in a statement.

A patient inside Delnor told NBC 5 that she was in the emergency room when an official came over the intercom and called out a code that the woman, who is a nurse at a different hospital, knew meant an active shooter situation.

She said a police officer took her and several other patients to a bathroom, where they hid inside the stalls for about 15 minutes.

They were then escorted to a conference room, she said, where they stayed for approximately 45 minutes before they were able to leave the hospital.

Further details on how the suspect was able to obtain the officer’s gun were not immediately available, authorities said.

The Illinois State Police is conducting the investigation, which remains ongoing.

Published 6 hours ago | Updated 2 hours ago