The DIRTY SOUTH traveled all the north yesterday evening for VH1’s 2010 Hip Hop Honors. The best of the best in Hip Hop took over Hammerstein Ballroom in New York to pay respects to the South. We’re hearing that it was a fantastic show full of surprises! The show airs on Monday June 7 at 9PM ET/PT. Flip it for the recap and pics of your favorite artists.
• Drake, in a “Free Wayne” T-shirt, and Bun B performing “Get Throwed” in tribute to J Prince of Rap-A-Lot Records.
• Jermaine Dupri going back in time with Bow Wow on the Kriss Kross classic “Jump,” and bringing Diddy and Lil Jon to the stage for “Welcome to Atlanta.”
• Missy Elliott reemerging to honor Timbaland with “Get Your Freak On” and “Work It,” plus Bun B rapping “Big Pimpin’,” Fabolous doing “Make Me Better,” and Keri Hilson collaborating with D.O.E. and Sebastian on “The Way I Are.”
• Kelly Rowland and David Banner commemorating their region by introducing Slim Thug (“Like a Boss”), Paul Wall (“Sittin’ Sidewayz”), and Chamillionaire (“Ridin’”).
• Chilli and Lauren London showing love to Atlanta honoree Organized Noize before performances by Rico Wade (“Player’s Ball”), Nelly and Murphy Lee (“Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik”), Sleepy Brown and Cool Breeze (“So Fresh, So Clean”), and Asher Roth (“Saturday (Oooh! Ooooh!)”).
• Master P being introduced by his not-so-lil’ son Romeo and Taraji P. Henson before Gucci Mane’s rendition of “Miss My Homies;” Romeo, Silkk the Shocker, and Trina doing “That’s Cool;” and Mystikal returning to the stage for “Make ‘Em Say Uhh!”
• Miami closing out the show with Trina (“Million Dollar Girl”), Flo Rida (“Low”), and Rick Ross, who got “Super High” in a furry coat. Pitbull had the crowd on its feet one last time with “I Know You Want Me.”
Chilli (TLC), left, and actress Lauren London
Bow Wow, and Jermaine Dupri performed
Rapper Romeo, and his dad Master P
Mystikal got some chick knocked up already?
The Ying Yang Twins & Juvenile