Chicago White Sox broadcaster Ken “Hawk” Harrelson will step away from the microphone after next season, but there is one iconic ballpark that he will not visit in his farewell season.
In an interview on Sunday with CSN Chicago’s Dan Hayes, Harrelson said that he will not be travelling to Wrigley Field next season to call the team’s three-game series against the Chicago Cubs, and he didn’t mince words as to why he’s going to stay away from the Friendly Confines.
“Worst press box, worst booths for television, it’s a joke,” Harrelson said. “It really is. And so, Jason (Benetti) is getting ready for those three at Wrigley. I will never step foot in that ballpark again. Ever.”
Earlier this year, Harrelson announced that he would be stepping away from broadcasting after the 2018 season, with Benetti set to take over the full-time role as the White Sox play-by-play man. Harrelson will work a limited 20 game schedule next season, but the three-game series at Wrigley Field will not be on the docket for the colorful and oft-controversial broadcaster.
“I’ll never go back to Wrigley Field again. We’ve got three games over at their place, and I told Jerry the other day before we came on this trip, I said, ‘I’m not going back to Wrigley Field.’”
Published at 4:06 PM CDT on Aug 6, 2017