Earlier this month, Khizr Khan, the Gold Star father who was launched into the spotlight during the 2016 presidential election for throwing his support behind Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton during a speech at last year’s DNC convention, made headlines once again when he made the claim his “travel privileges” were being reviewed during the time President Trump’s temporary travel ban, therefore he had to cancel his trip to Canada. As details are continuing to come out about the curious claim, it appears there is little-to-no evidence that any of it is true.
If you have tips you want American Military News to investigate please email [email protected]. Your identity will be protected.
On March 6, Ramsay Talks, a Toronto-based organization that hosts speaking events, put out a statement on Facebook saying that the speaking engagement set for the following day with Khizr Khan, whose son U.S. Army Capt. Humayun Khan was killed in Iraq in 2004, was canceled because Khan “was notified” that his “travel privileges” were “being reviewed,” therefore he could not travel to Canada.
“Late Sunday evening Khizr Khan, an American citizen for over 30 years, was notified that his travel privileges are being reviewed,” RamsayTalks wrote on Facebook. “As a consequence, Mr. Khan will not be traveling to Toronto on March 7th to speak about tolerance, understanding, unity and the rule of law. Very regretfully, Ramsay Talks must cancel its luncheon with Mr. Khan. Guests will be given full refunds.”
A statement from Khan himself was also posted.
“This turn of events is not just of deep concern to me but to all my fellow Americans who cherish our freedom to travel abroad,” Khan was quoted as saying. “I have not been given any reason as to why. I am grateful for your support and look forward to visiting Toronto in the near future.”
The claim was questioned by those who wondered why an over-30-year-citizen of the United States who was originally from Pakistan, not one of the seven countries on the temporary ban list, would be forbidden from flying into America’s bordering nation of Canada. When asked by top news agencies, Khan would offer no comment on the matter.
Last week, Khan finally weighed in on the story.
“I did not want to go through the hassle of uncertain rules and capricious implementation,” Khan told reporter Hawes Spencer.
“Seeing things like Muhammed Ali Jr. being detained. Muslim but American citizens being detained at the border,” Khan continued.
Spencer’s report ended with: “Khan says he won’t go abroad until there’s clarity.”
Khan offered no evidence that he was informed by any individual or organization that his ability to fly was potentially revoked, and contradicted his original claim by admitting that it was more of a precautionary choice not to travel.