In heartfelt open letter, Drake calls for the end of senseless violence after shots rang out during an after party for his OVO Festival earlier this month, claiming the lives of two people. Come inside to read his thoughts and get the deets on Terrence Howard’s emotional day in court yesterday….
Drake has penned an open letter to his fans after a senseless act of violence claimed the lives of two people during the after party for his sixth annual OVO Festival in Toronto earlier this month.
23-year-old Duvel Hibbert (whom police say was targeted) and 26-year-old innocent bystander Ariela Navarro-Fenoy were killed, while 3 others were injured, during a shooting inside Muzik nightclub on August 4th. It’s still unclear whether Drizzy (or any other celebrity, i.e. Kanye West) was inside the club when the shooting took place. Its reported police have released two descriptions of the alleged shooters, but no arrests have been made.
Now, the Toronto native is calling on his fans to stop the violence and offers up his condolences to the families who have been affected. On his official OVO website he writes:
The last few days I have been in a moral bind.
I am used to the fact that my life and the things I say to my fans are closely watched. It’s tough in situations like this where there’s a tragedy and I consider the advice of my trusted advisors and counsel who worry that anything I might say could be misinterpreted.
However, today I am choosing to follow my heart.
I am plagued and pained by the violence that continues to escalate in our city. I stare into the eyes of so many young people and I wish to see them all shine as bright as they possibly can in this lifetime. I encourage my generation to show as much value and gratitude as you can for the lives we have been gifted.
My deepest condolences go out to the Navarro-Fenoy and Hibbert families for their loss of Ariela and Duvel. Along with them I send my condolences to all of the families that have lost loved ones to the senseless violence that has and continues to occur in our city.
Although Toronto is globally viewed as a major city, at the core we are still a small close-knit community, and it is our public responsibility to ensure the safety and wellbeing of one another. We need each other to further our communities for generations to come.
I pray for better times and better understanding.
We agree with everything he said here.
A photo posted by TheYBF.com (@theybfdaily) on Aug 14, 2015 at 5:29pm PDT
The Young Money rapper is back in the stands to cheer on Serena Williams at the Rogers Cup tennis tournament in Toronoto yesterday. He hit up the Aviva Centre to support the 33-year-old tennis champ who advanced to the semifinals Friday night, beating out Italian tennis player Roberta Vinci.
A few adorable kiddies entertained the 6ix God as he watched from the audience. Looks like Drizzy is getting in his daddy practice. Ha!
Drizzy got in on a little tennis action of his own….ping pong!
A video posted by champagnepapi (@champagnepapi) on Aug 14, 2015 at 6:56pm PDT
Next up for Drizzy? He’s set to hit rock the stage at the Boulevard Pool at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas on September 6th, hosted by funnyman Kevin Hart.
In other news…
We told you “Empire” star Terrence Howard would be taking the stand in his court battle with ex-wife Michelle Ghent. Terrence and Michelle are currently in court as the actor attempts to have his divorce settlement thrown out. He claims Michelle extorted money from him, threatening to expose his sex life if he didn’t pay up, and threatened to release information about him that could ultimately affect his career, so he wants the settlement nullified.
During court proceedings yesterday, the Hustle & Flow actor took the stand where he ended up breaking down to tears as he testified. According to new reports, Terrence claims the only reason he signed the settlement agreement was because Michelle threatened to release medical information about him that would likely make it impossible for him to continue working in Hollywood. Oh?
Howard was referring to a conversation he taped when Michelle Ghent was on the phone threatening to telling various people he had an STD.
He also testified he felt pressure to sign the settlement agreement — giving her an unusually large sum of money — because she threatened to release a sex tape featuring him and another woman.
Howard blew his nose as he fought back tears on the stand, taking deep breaths as he testified.
He’s trying to undo the settlement — giving her $5,800 a month in spousal support and a chunk of his “Empire” earnings — on grounds he signed the doc under extreme duress.
Well damn. Good luck with this one Terrence.
Photos: Getty/Drake’s IG