Checking into the weekend’s box office receipts, we’re happy to report that Straight Outta Compton is still performing well, and remains the #1 movie in the country. Find out how well it did inside…
Thanks to positive reviews, critical acclaim and Dr. Dre “surprise” apology,” the momentum around the NWA biopic Straight Outta Compton continues to slay at the box office, remaining No. 1 for the second week in a row.
According to studio estimates (via Deadline), the F. Gary Gray-directed film pulled in $26.8 million and crossed the $100 million mark for a total of $111.5 million.
Outside of the States, we’ve learned that SOC is also performing well internationally. So far, the film has opened in Norway and Slovenia, taking in $170K. Next weekend, the films will open in Austria, Germany and the UK.
Here’s how the rest of the box office looked (via Deadline):
1) Straight Outta Compton (UNI), 2,757 theaters / $8.3M Fri. / $10.6M Sat. (+28%) / $7.9M Sun. (-25%) / 3-day cume: $26.8M (-56%)/Total cume: $111.5M/ Wk 2
2) Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation (PAR), 3,442 theaters (-258) / $3.3M Fri. /$5M Sat. (+49%) / $3.4M Sun. (-32%) / 3-day cume: $11.7M (-31%)/ Total Cume: $157.8/ Wk 4
3) Sinister 2 (Gramercy/Focus), 2,766 theaters / $4.7M Fri.*/ $3.6M Sat. (-23%) / $2.3M Sun. (-35%) / 3-day cume: $10.6M / Wk 1 *includes Thursday previews of $850K.
4) Hitman: Agent 47 (20th Century Fox), 3,261 theaters / $3.1M Fri. **/ $2.9M Sat. (-5%) / $2.2M Sun. (-26%) / 3-day cume: $8.2M / Wk 1 Industry weekend: $8.1M **includes Thursday previews of $600K
5) Man From U.N.C.L.E (WB), 3,673 theaters (+35) / $2.19M Fri. /$3.1M Sat. (+41%) / $2.15M Sun. (-30%) / 3-day cume: $7.4M (-45%)/Total cume: $26.6M/ Wk 2
6) American Ultra (Lionsgate), 2,778 theaters / $2.1M Fri.+/ $1.9M Sat. (-8%) / $1.5M Sun. (-24%) / 3-day cume: $5.5M / Wk 1+includes Thursday previews of $425K.
7) The Gift (STX), 2,303 theaters (-200) / $1.3M Fri. (-34%) /$1.8M Sat. (+46%) / $1.2M Sun. (-35%) / 3-day cume: $4.3M(-34%)/ Total Cume: $31.1M /Wk 3
8). Ant-Man (DIS), 2,016 theaters (-290) / $1.2MFri. (-24%) /$1.8M Sat. (+50%) / $1.1M Sun. (-35%) / 3-day cume: $4.1M(-26%)/Total cume: $164.5M / Wk 6
9) Minions (UNI), 2,226 theaters (-414)/ $1.1M Fri. / $1.5M Sat. (+43%) / $1.1M Sun. (-30%) / 3-day cume: $3.7M (-28%)/Total Cume: $320M / Wk 7
10) Fantastic Four (FOX), 2,581 theaters (-1,423)/ $1.1M Fri. / $1.6M Sat. (+48%) / $1M Sun. (-37%) / 3-day cume: $3.65M (-56%)/ Total Cume: $49.6M /Wk 3
1. Actor/Director Forest Whitaker with make his 2016 Broadway debut a revival of the 1941 play “Hughie.” Story
Photo via Universal